Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Music and our families...

I LOOOVE music.  I can not carry a tune to save my life, however I think I sound awesome in the shower and Hayden and I are really really good singers in the car.  I can kinda sorta play the piano, and I admire anyone who can really play it or any other instrument.  Even though I really have no musical talent myself, I adore it... I listen to it almost all day and all the time.  While Im cooking, while Im driving, while Im cleaning or getting ready.   It always brightens my day and often puts a little extra bounce in my step to get things done or help me have a better day when I am seriously dragging.

Ok, now a little funny story time...
I was 7 or 8 months pregnant, so I was obviously VERY pregnant.  So pregnant you are at the point that EVERYONE decides you need advice.  For some reason I got lots of pregnant/baby advice in the line at the grocery store from cute little grandma ladies.  One particular lady, while we were waiting in line to check out grabs my belly on each side and is asking me about my baby... I am in shock that she is so. so. close and that my belly is no longer my own personal space.  We are talking and I am trying to be nice but back away but she gets closer and then starts SINGING! LOUDLY!!! to my belly... while intermittently telling me how important it is to make sure my baby hears music and I sing and read to him while he is still "cooking" in there and that he has good music after while hes growing.  When it was FINALLY time to for her to check out, and we parted ways.  I was so confused by what happened.  I finished checking out, loaded my groceries(which were probably mostly cravings food) and got in the car.  The radio came on and I started my regular car dancing(you know you do it too!) and all the sudden am absolutely HORRIFIED by what they are singing about.  I quickly turn the radio off and start bawling(darn hormones.)  I couldn't stop thinking about what that lady had said about how it effects my baby and how he will learn and grow up blah blah blah... when I finally calmed down and took it all into perspective that my baby really probably didnt hear anything that whoever was singing about and wasn't going to be hurt or anything I did think about how I probably did need to adjust my music a little.  For myself and my little growing family...

"Music has boundless powers for moving families toward greater spirituality and devotion to the gospel. Latter-day Saints should fill their homes with the sound of worthy music." -- "First Presidency Preface," Hymns, 1985, x

So I adjusted my music a little, I wasn't ever listening to anything outrageous, but now I make more of an effort to actually KNOW what I'm listening to on the radio and I have some kid's music for Hayden that I actually really like.  Some kid's music is sooo annoying.  Like pull your hair out annoying.  But I found some I really like.  I still listen to some music that I can rock out too though :) I still love Beyonce, Death Cab, and 80s music etc :) (I could go on and on who I love to listen to)

"Teach your children to love the hymns. Sing them on the Sabbath, in home evening, during scripture study, at prayer time. Sing as you work, as you play, and as you travel together. Sing hymns as lullabies to build faith and testimony in your young ones." -- "First Presidency Preface," Hymns, 1985, x

I have been singing and playing more hymns around the house.  "The Wheels of the Bus" is now followed by "Im a Child of God," or "Families Can be Together Forever," and of course the classic "Popcorn Popping :)  I love the hymns.  They give such a peaceful feeling to my home.  I hope I can teach all of my kids to love the hymns and music as much as I do.

"I wonder sometimes if we realize the importance of music. I wonder if we know that the Lord himself is concerned about it. He has given us the information that the song of praise is a prayer unto him. . . . It [is] our privilege, yea, our blessing, to sing and . . . our songs should be sung in righteousness." -- President George Albert Smith, Church News, Feb. 16, 1946, 6

So...for your listening pleasure here are some of my favorite church Cd's for me and for my family:

This was one of the very first CD's I ever bought Hayden, we have the traditional Children Songs that I love and he loves but this is just a fun spin on it.  I LOVE it and so does Hayden.
This is another CD by the same band that I really like.  The "Once There was a Snowman" songs are HILARIOUS!  They have spiced up some of the Children's songs and they are so cute.  I also really like the song "The Primary Jamboree" and "Peanut Butter and Jelly"
 
I love love love my Reflection's of Christ CD and Another Testament of Christ CD 
 
I also love Hillary Weeks, Katherine Nelson, Jenny Jordan Frogley and Kenneth Cope(I love EVERYTHING he sings, check out all his cds.)They are great for when I don't really want to listen to some MoTab but Im in a church music, uplifting music mood.

Enjoy!  What do you like to listen to with your kids and by yourself, church music or other wise.... I need more kids cds in the mix. :)

2 comments:

Devyn said...

ooo I'm going to have to check those out! the CD we have that the kids fall to sleep to every night is "a child's prayer" primary songs for bedtime. by little stream records. beautiful music, very soothing and comforting! highly recommend it :)

ERIN said...

I need to get a primary song CD.... Anyway, loving the blog ladies! Keep it up!

Recent Posts You Don't Want To Miss